Thursday, August 09, 2007

Siamo Singapore

It was Singapore's 42nd birthday yesterday and the whole nation had their eyes on the inaugural National Day celebrations at the new Marina floating stadium - the largest one in the world (hurray, another 'world-class' feather in our cap!) My parents and I watched the whole hoohah on telly over a sumptuous dinner while homegrown Kit Chan serenaded us with the sentimental ballad 'There's No Place I'd Rather Be'. She sang of roaming the world from Cairo to Mumbai, LA to UK, only to realise she would rather be home with her family and friends - and probably missing the shiok chicken rice, safe airconditioned malls and berry quick check-ins at our no. 1 Changi Airport.

My friend C was so inspired (and free) that he wrote an alternative version of the song!

'There's No Place I'd Rather Be' (Uncensored version)
I’ve run the streets of Cairo and Bombay,
Pursued by snatch thieves all the way
I’ve been mugged in NYC
And snubbed in gay Paree
Experienced Delhi Belly
Which was not okay.

I’ve eaten cardboard pao in old Beijing
Been boiled alive in Japanese hot springs
I’ve seen the Canyon Grand
Where I got stuck in quicksand
So it’s not without relief that I can sing:

There’s no place I’d rather be
To sanitise my sanity
And even though I’ve braved the world
I’d rather brave the GST

From reclaimed shore to shining sea
On floors and floors of HDB
We all co-exist so happily
And multiculturally

Yes, there’s no place I’d rather be
To chiak hong and lim kopi
And even if I move abroad
I’ll still return sporadically

Where the Merlion stands proudly
Drenching tourists with its pui
And courtesy is free for you and me
Paradise, republically.

‘Cause there’s no place I’d rather be!
(Copyright 2007)

No comments: