Sunday, August 05, 2007

Casa dolce casa

Just today dad hauled in some freshly caught fishes and asked me to shoot each one while giving me the run-down of which tastes good. He's a proud opinionated stubborn man but can be very affectionate and comedic with kids and our cats. As usual Mom was cooking all Sunday and found time to watch the Thai horror flick 'Shutter' which scared the shit outta me. I borrowed it for her since she's a horror fan. True enough, she said it was not that scary?! Non e' possibile!

I was telling my friend F that I couldn't wait to have my own apartment (only 3 more years to go before I can buy a HDB flat!). I had wanted to move out last year but when I hinted to my mamma, she swore she'd disown me and promptly list 101 reasons why home is better than 'outside'. She's right of course; I don't have to pay rent - just a monthly allowance for the free homecooked meals, occasional laundry, petsitting and housecleaning services. And I can laugh at Italian men who still lived with their mamma. Shame on me.

But the flip side is I have to tolerate the mismatched furniture, overflowing fridge, messy-as-hell storeroom (accumulated stuff of 5 members & 3 cats) and dad's stinky salted fishes and fishing cages in the living room (displayed as installation art perhaps). Yes I'd miss it all but I'm looking forward to my own casa where I can decorate it my way, entertain friends whenever I want and walk around in my lingerie or naked for all I care.

You'd know it when you've reached a stagnant plateau and it's time for new changes, no matter how hard it is to get away from the free TLC. However for now, I'm loving the attention from mamma and papa. When I got sick recently, mamma would make me liang chui (chinese herbal brews) and eyeballed me as I downed glass after glass. At dinner, dad would give me the best fish and asked if I want to eat the fresh crabs or octopus. So if I move, I'd miss my parents dearly. Will I ever grow up and out of this?

No comments: