Saturday, July 16, 2005

Smooth Landing in London

I never thought I'd said this but I survived the 12-hour flight from Singapore to London - all on my own! I was so proud of myself! :) gosh. If you had flown with me before (yes fiona and ferne), you'd know I'm the sort that will squeeze your hand dry and squirm in my seat if the pilot make the slightest fart. So it was a feather in my cap to kick off this journey on my 30th birthday and I want to thank all my lovely friends, family and partners who showered me with love, kind words and the coolest gifts!

I still couldn't believe I was here in London at 8am on a chilly Sunday after a restful night of sleep. Yesterday, James and his friend String had picked me up from Heathrow and I stepped outta airport to one of those kind warm days uncharacteristic of London. Even at 25 degree, the air was crisp and chilly especailly in the shade and I felt silly wearing my jacket when half the population were in their bikinis and shorts! J and I stayed with his friends Kwok and String at their charming three-storey apartment along Battersea Church Road in a nice somewhat posh area in south London. The attic study where we slept in had a small balcony that overlooked the long narrow garden at the back where the two dogs Gel-li (the pudgier one) and Q ran amok and drank from the fish pond.

They had a walk and a dip in the fountain at the nearby Battersea Park while we caught two live groups performing and licked at our fast-melting gelato! After a nap, we went to meet Lucius at Ole Street and took longer than expected on the public bus to Victoria station - then missing our stop at Monument and backtracked, then made a costly mistake getting out of the station and paid another 4pounds to switch to the northern line! Argh.

Eventually we met Lucius albeit 30mins late at 9pm and caught up over chunky bbq burgers and cold beers at a crowded alley bar. We joined his Spanish friends at a local bar and asked them to teach us how to say "You're beautiful" and "Do you want to go home with me" which will useful when we're in Barcelona and Ibiza! Then we were supposed to go to this album launch party at Cargo but I was having this pounding headache and made a wise decision to call it a night. So now after 8 hours of sleep, I am up - bright and cheery, and just need a good shit now to get the day cracking!

1 comment:

fernz said...

Hey dear! So glad to hear of that u made it thru the flight to London! See it's not that bad and yes we're so proud of u for that *beaming with pride*