Wednesday, October 03, 2007

La prima settimana

Luigi left Pozzuoli on mercoledi and he texted me to say his mom Melina made him cry in the treno to roma. Sigh. Didn't I tell you? She has that effect on people, including me. Maybe it's her sweet smile, kind eyes and warm hug. It must be hard for him to leave his hometown and tight circle as much as he hates to admit it. Mercoledi was also his sorella, Linda's birthday (buon compleaannnooo cara!), followed by his birthday on venerdi (tanti auguri a te!), Anna's, Melina's and Gino's - all in the same mese.

Allora, the week had started out bene for me despite a heavy head full of cotton - a result of jetlag. On lunedi mattina, I brought i dolci - 2 trays of sfogliatelle and aragoste nutella - and Kimbo caffe to the office for the girls and our new intern. Much to my dismay, I also discovered that one of the 3 Nutella jars was broken. Bwaaaaaahh!!! Tristissimaaa.

But what was more triste was to learn that one of our friends R was involved in a serious bike accident and the doc said he'd be paralysed for life. And he's only 31. I visited him and told myself not to cry as he laid sleeping in ICU, his limp body heaving from the respiratory assistance. Things like these made you realise how fragile and precious life is.

On sabato, I managed to drag my arse to the last classe of our Advance 4B and Anna Maria said she enjoyed reading my blog and asked for permission to share it with the others at the italian institute. I'd love to share mie avventure but scusami if there's troppo parolaccia (swear words)! Anyway this would be our last classe with her - che peccato. We had all thoroughly enjoyed her patient teaching and tiramisu (which I missed out!). Grazie carissima.

After classe, F and I went to slice up the block of Parma ham for cena at her place. We paired the deliciously moist and fatty slices with sweet organic Thai melone, rucola, grissini and a bottiglia di Lambrusco. The primo piatto di organic fettucine with bottarga e parmigiano didn't turn out as well (cos the pasta's quality was uneven), followed by grilled pork chops with sauteed asparagus. The guys couldn't stomach any more crepes (weak!) so I just piled some banana and crushed grissini over a bed of nutella. Hmmm.

The next day, F's mother-in-law invited me to their casa for her husband's 67th birthday because they knew how golosa I was and how much I loved her briyani. I stuffed my face with 3 servings of glorious mutton briyani with more curried chicken and pineapple salad, then a slice of torta cioccolata, a slice of jelly and glass of vin santo. Burp. It rained all day which made it even more conducive for me to sleep like a baby on the hour-long bus ride home. I dreamt about Italia but I couldn't remember dove.

No comments: