Sunday, June 24, 2007

Uniquely yours

I was reading Anthony Bourdain's extremely entertaining 'The Nasty Bits' and came across this bit. "I'm a New Yorker, so it should come as no surprise that I think my city is the greatest city in the world." Which reminded me of the many people from different countries whom I've met and how these proud beasts declared too with a smirk on their faces that their hometown is the best. Hmmm, how many of us could truely say that of Singapore? I bet if you ask your neighbour/colleague, he/she'd say "Singapore ah? Ok lah. So hot, so expensive now, boring lah."

Actually if you bother to venture out of the air-conditioned comfort of your flat into the freakin' hot crowded citta, there are options lurking in some swelterin' corners like the National Art Museo, where N and I spent half a Saturday inspecting the 'Engraving The World' exhibition - a chalcography collection of the Louvre Museum - and the surreal modern works by Chinese contemporary artist Zeng Fanzhi.

The former SJI school building was gorgeous and I especially liked the hall upstairs with its ghostly old European chandeliers and ornate tiles. After that, we crossed the road to the newly renovated grand dame, Singapore National Museum for more heritage exhibitions. www.nationalmuseum.sg Three weeks ago, we were here for a really pretentious launch of a really pretentious bar and I cringed when I had to air-kiss some of the pretentious folks. We bolted out of there in 15mins.

This time, it was a more laidback outing where we sipped on our caffe latte at the Aussie-like trendy cafe Novus and gossiped about everyone but us. There were so quirky modern works including the wall that projected our captured images and the swinging chandeliers (justified by a really lengthy pretentious explanation). We liked the Food Museum though it could have easily been more fun, instead of being so safe and so textbook. What about the tock-tock candy man? What about the kachang puteh man? What about the ice kacang balls??

By the time we'd finished, the sun was setting and dramatic against the beehive of clouds. We walked over to the Esplanade aka 'The Durian' for beers, salty fries and wings at a bar and watched the NDP fireworks. My friend B and his bro G had invited me to watch the Bonfire festival where 'poi' professionals came to put up their fiery acts and free workshops. These guys were damn good! Later that week, F and I were inspired to pick up the ropes again and bribed the brothers with some beer to teach us new poi tricks.

No comments: