Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Signorina Vana

Today I went to a women's magazine photoshoot and got all made up for the story feature where they posed the question "How much money is enough?" to an eclectic bunch of women from successful directors to independent professionals. One of them is a free-spirited writer friend who has called India home for the last few years I've known her. The make-up part was fun, as I got the whole dramatic fake eyelashes, coats of mascara and gold eye shadow - fit for a drag queen.

The make-up artist said it was necessary to apply heavier cosmetics so I'd look good in the photos - no shit under the glare of the studio lights. And the hairstylist was trying to study my white hair as he contemplated what style would work for me. The stressful part was having to smile and pose in different 'natural' ways under the disapproving glares of the art director/stylist, designer, editor and photographer. After 20mins and a dozen poses later, I managed to loosen up and gave them my best shot! Who says modelling is easy??

Anyway back to the question - I think money is important but I draw the line at having to work overtime and losing sleep over it. I see my friends making tons of money but leading equally stressful lives with no time off for the more important things. One should make enough to sustain your own level of living without it cramping your personal space and freedom. We should work to live and not live to work.

No comments: