Saturday, September 16, 2006

Siamo i figli del mondo

Yay, good news! After a week since I got my profile 'Carla' up on the dating site, I received 12 "Interested" notices including:
- a 57 year-old American ah peh whose email was titled 'Pizza Pizza!' - probably the only italian words he knew
- a 51 year-old Nicaraguarian divorcee living in Hawaii who "loves to laugh and make you laugh"
- a 37 year-old Syrian who's a separatee in UAE seeking "nice good she big hart happy"
- a 32 year-old Sporean separatee/ storekeeper-driver who "dont mind me smoke, light drinker and low education"
- 21 year-old Pakistani whose English was 'fluent', saying "I wante agood friend for hole life"

Hmmm. This afternoon, I logged in to find 5 more men in their 40s seeking their 'princess'. Great - where's my prince? With a new sassy bob in place, I loaded a refreshed picture and description (si, that's what a haircut can do!). Believe it or not, over the weekend, I actually chewed over my personal ad and here's what I had come up with:

Largely 95% optimist/ 5% depressive cynic-skeptic seeking soulmate to travel the world and walk the unbeaten path. Not afraid to speak her mind and indulge her inner child, she likes to poke fun at herself and bring out the laugh lines in others. Adept at embracing ambiguity, loves to be challenged for the sake of personal growth but is also a sentimental fool and traditionalist at heart who values nostalgia. Believes to possess strong emotional strength but also susceptible to extreme PMS outbursts to which only potato chips and chocolate are her cure. Logical and calm yet nonsensical and corny. Focused yet flexible. Trusting yet instinctive and affectionate yet independent - like a cat - who happens to be addicted to Lambrusco and sfogiatelle. An aspiring artist/ writer/ photographer/ poet/ linguist/ chef waiting for her cheerleader who believes in her new motto "Everything's possible - just because I can and I want."

Ok, don't be silly; I didn't actually load ALL the above - I think some men might not digest it. But then again, I was not looking for SOME men. At 31, I'm proud to say I'm really happy to be where I am now - having survived my 20s of identity crisis. Looking back, you'd realise you're not THAT fat afterall and all the silly mistakes you regretted are just silly. Experiences, good or bad, simply makes you a better stronger person. And when you leave this world, you should leave it as a better place for others who will be inspired by your legacy of achievements and memories.

We all have the power to change ourselves and only then, will we be able to help others and the world. To start with, I think the world would be a better place if we all adopt small changes to benefit ourselves, others, animals or the environment. Some suggestions:
- Walk more
- Use less plastic
- Read more
- Consume less
- Adopt an animal
- Smile at strangers
- Watch less TV
- Speak up

See, no membership is required! Step out and sign up now :)

No comments: