Saturday, September 16, 2006

Law of Cooking

Hoo-pee! Fantastico news! I'm one step closer to realising one of my dreams - that is to have my own cooking show! Last week, I hosted a content producer from a top site here at lunch recently and volunteered my recipes for their Wine & Dine section, hinting desperately at the possibility of my own segment 'The Law Of Cooking'. A) She must be damn tickled or B) the oysters must have a hallucinating effect, because she actually said yes! So your friend here, ah-hem, will be having her mini-series of video-podcasts - yay! *cartwheels and somersaults* Ooh after this, I'll work on the cable channels, book deals and products endorsements!

F and P had happily agreed to lend me their show kitchen provided I wash up and they get to eat after that, plus a starring role at the same time. I told them if the producer allows, F will be my sous chef and P the ah-neh dishwasher. *Hsyterical LOL (ok very mean, sorry)*

Being their maid-of-honour (I'm always honourable), I'd need to be presentable at the church wedding and dinner so these occasions call for a proper bridesmaid's dress and splendid sari. After lunch at Komala's, F's in-laws and we went hunting in Little India, one of my favourite places in Spore for the sensational sights, smells and sounds - from the crowded streets to saris and spices. With Deepavali just around the corner, Little India couldn't be prettier with its many proud peacocks litting up the main road.

The first shop threw up some lovely gold embroidered choices ranging from $250 & above, way out of our budget. We crossed over to the shopkeeper's son-in-law's shop and headed upstairs where the best were stashed away. Sari-shopping is an art on its own and as such an eye-opener. The shelves were impossibly stacked with thousands of fabrics in varying hues and patterns, the counters swarm with layers of unfolded designs and everyone was eyeing one another's choices in the crowded space.

We told the sales guy our preferred colours and he'd whip out a few options then branished them one by one like a magic shining cape across his shoulders while standing on a stool for added height. Everytime he did that, a sale was made. Who could resist all of them? Soooo gorgeous... everything I also said 'bellissima'!

F founded her day and evening sari - both exquisite and within her budget, while I gave in to a $150 royal pink and luminating green sari intricately sequinned, beaded and threaded. We bought armfuls of matching bangles and earrings to complete our Bollywood ensembles. Ooh, I couldn't wait for December.

No comments: