Sunday, August 14, 2005

Wet in Como

This weekend marked one month that I had been away from home and I'm not even halfway done yet! This morning I woke up thinking if I could grow a beard, I would do so to adopt another identity and hide behind the mask. Although I had no problems travelling alone these days, I still wished I had someone to share the experience with. Carl talked too loud at times and I found myself having frequent arguments with her.
C1: Hmm, should I walk this way? Lets check the map.
C2: No lah, it looks too empty, everyone's going the other way!
C1: But it's faster to the monument - oh just shut up you cow!
C2: Come on, cheer up. Look at the amazing scenery.
C1: Sigh, you're right. I know but just be silent ok?

On Sunday morning, I hurried to the ferry point and just made it for the 11am ride (6,20 euros) to Bellagio, described as one of the most beautiful towns around Como area. On the way out, I ignored Carl's nagging amd refused to bring my jacket and of course regretted it as it was damn chilly sitting on the front deck under the overcast skies. But I happily bore with the winds and soaked up the panorama up the lake passing by small towns, docks and gorgeous villas, gleaming like jewels among the hills.

Most people got off at Bellagio, which had very quaint and steep streets. I finished the tour of the town in less than 2 hours and bought the fast service ticket back (9,20 euros) but was pointed by the ferry idiots to the slow one instead. The sky soon opened up and poured so heavily that the mountains and lake were covered with a blanket of cotton mist. I was one of the few brave (or silly) ones without a jacket and almost froze my tits off. When we reached Como, it was cold at 4.30pm which showed how unpredictable the weather can be!

After a full dinner of pesto pasta, roastbeef carpaccio with rucola and Parmesan cheese with a glass of Chianti red at Ice Cafe again, I went to see the lake one last time so I could imprint the beautiful scenery in my mind forever. At 10pm, the square was teeming with the post-dinner crowd watching a mini local beauty pageant (6 pathetic finalists only) while the MC competed with the loud music (50cents and Blue!!) blaring from the speakers. It was so freaking cold I was trembling and I had to shuffle my feet and pretended to tap to the music.

Tomorrow I shall leave for Verona at noon and look forward to rubbing the left breast of Juliet for good luck and perhaps post a love note on the wall to my Romeo!

1 comment:

fernz said...

hey babe,

sorry haven't been reading/keeping track of ur blog last week. suddenly login today itz like wow!! haha! by the time u get back, u would have travelled the world..well almost haha!

met up wif the gang last fri. they all send their love n we're missing u at our usual fri dinners. but at the same time green wif envy reading ur blog hehe!

kisses!!