Thursday, August 04, 2005

Been there Dali that

Don´t cringe at the title but it's the best I can think of at this moment! As you´d have guessed, I left Barcelona this morning after some hot chocolate and crossiant and a visit to the La Boqueria Market (finally made it!), salivating at the legs of jamon, fresh seafood and fruits. The two-hour train ride was tranquil and Figueres was sleepy and hot when I reached it at 1.30pm. Everyone seemed to close shop for a siesta as it felt like 35 degrees. The people were somewhat friendlier here than in Barcelona and I already had a guy who whispered 'Ásian' to me and another waved at me on the street. Hmmm, I didn´t get that when I was with James!

The highlight of my day was visiting the famous teatro-museum of my favoruite surrealist artist Salvador Dali, whose hometown was Figueres. It was indeed estupendo especially the famous Mae West room where you had to join the queue up a flight of stairs to look through the big magnifiying glass hanging underneath the belly of a camel! I shot and gawked at his other famous sculptures, fresco paintings and marvelled at the museum's red facade crowned with gigantic eggs and gold figurines!

You got to see it to believe what a genius and inspiration Dali was, even after death. I had been moody on my own but his works cheered me up a lot and I sobered up to the thought that I had made it to Figueres! The only thing I hated was eating alone and my appetite had somewhat waned (could you imagine me, the glutton??) Lunch was awful - a greasy plate of pollo (fried chicken with fries and a whole fried green chilli pepper) but it was cheap at 4 euros.

I did´t know what to eat for dinner though, even after combing the town for hours staring at the gourmet shops full of bread and chocolate. It´s the same shit everywhere - paella, tapas, pizza, steak, etc. Luckily for me, there was a quiet Chinois restaurante around the corner from where I was staying and I inhaled the 'Ten Treasures' soup and sweet & sour pork with a heap of white rice.

Tomorrow I´d catch the 10.30am train to Montpellier and another one to Avignon, Provence, ideally I should reach there by 3.30pm. Plus I had to switch my linguistic mode and say ´Bonjour, ca va!´ instead of ´Hola´! Till the next log in, hasta luego!

No comments: