Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Buon Diwali

Haaappy Diwaaali! Ah, such bliss to wake up late on this public holiday. Last night, our celebrations started with some fab naan, spiced okra, cauliflower and tandoor chicken at the Indian ristorante at the Singapore Recreational Club. Interestingly I didn't know non-members could dine there anytime. And I didn't know that the club was established in 1883 by the Eurasian community as a hangout for non-whites in Spore, as opposed to the Singapore Cricket Club that was opened for the whites. Ok ok I didn't know a lot of things.

I was informed by my 2 Indian amici - Prab and Ketan - that Diwali / Divali / Deepavali is NOT their new year celebration; in fact it's celebrated by Hindus, Jains and Sikhs across the globe as the "Festival of Light," where the lights signify the uplighting of darkness and victory of good over evil. Ah so. Light my fire baby. After dinner, we chilled out at the members-only terrace bar upstairs at the SRC and admired the city's skyline with its tiny window boxes of lit offices. The perspective from this side of the Padang was quite stunning. The streets were abandoned and the breeze lifted the heat. I told N it felt like Berlin - although strangely I had never been to Berlin. The drinks were also ridiculously cheap here - my apricot brandy cost S$3! I told them the house cocktails in comparison were quite a scandal at S$5.

I think I'd bring my Romanian friend Cristian for a walk around the Spore River and Padang when he visits in early December. And we'll go to the seediest quarters of Spore instead of the poshy-woshy places. Heheh. Shock his senses and show him the underbelly of the lione citta. Today my bro is leaving for Cambodia and I passed him the contact of my tuk tuk friend Ou Hok and scribbled tips on Siem Reap (click on December 06). My bro actually asked me if they have coffee or tea in Cambodia?! Dude. Angkor Wat is surely one of the most hauntingly beautiful yet saddest places in the world.

I met some mates for a round of martinis at Morton's and wolfed down 4 (or was it 5) steak finger sandwiches. R finally confessed that he and his wife have split up and I wanted to hug him and tell him he'll be fine. He has gone by the 'denial' stage and seems strangely at peace, so much so he and the wife are house mates now. I told him it's all for the better. Why be with someone who doesn't love you wholeheartedly? We all deserve someone who loves us for who we are. He replied, "We do?" Si si, certamente.

No comments: