Sunday, March 07, 2010

Marching on

February came and went away in a flash - and for the first time I was truly exhausted as a tour guide. Maybe it's because L's folks didn't speak inglese (which is why my brain is always churning subtitles/ transcript for every conversation). Also I didn't want them to get lost altho technically it's very hard to get lost on our tiny isle and they ve been trained to say 'bedok north ave 4, police station'. I just want to wow them and show them that S'pore is the new Asia - that it is safer, cleaner and more efficient than Napoli/Italy, and that L is well taken care of here by an equally loving family and not living among the slums. When I was in Italia, they and the rest of the family would ask if Spore has this and that. It was hard to tell them yes we are actually a civilised, accomplished first-world society in Italian without trying to roll my eyes. 

So it's good that they experienced it first-hand and went away so impressed that they say it'd be a nice idea to visit every 6 months. As my uncle said, they would be like triumphant voyagers  and sail back with glowing descriptions of the wonderful faraway land in Asia. Funnily if L and I aren't together, they'd probably never step into this part of the world. All it takes is a relationship to build bridges for many individuals.

Now that the italians came, saw and were convinced, I think it's high time for my family to experience italian hospitality and culture. Granny would love to go but we doubt she'd make the 10+ hr flight. It'd be delightfully hilarious if my aunts, uncles, cousins and family are all walking down Pozzuoli's streets and stopping by Mel's for lunch! I do hope that day will come soon.

Anyway I think we're ready for the next stage of our life, and even starting our own family. I'll be 35 this July and all I can think about is the use-by-date of my eggs! I've always wanted kids before 30, now I'm lucky if I have 1 before 40! Hmm we'll see how the future unfolds... 

For now, I'm happy harvesting my tomatoes (yay!) and also the fruits of our labour. My company is 9 this year and we're finally taking the leap of faith by hiring a full-time staff who is likeminded and equally passionate! It's a great feeling to see that our agency has expanded to more than 4 of us and that our staff is happy and motivated - including. K, our recent intern, who is a happy bunny. We've all come a long way as colleagues, partners and friends. I think we'd make great bosses too :)

1 comment:

Eka said...

Carla, leggendo il tuo post, sono molto felice per te :)