Monday, June 01, 2009

Permesso please

L got his work permit today and immediately passed all the numbers he can find on it to my mamma (for 4D what else?) whom he has affectionately nicknamed 'Matta' (italian for 'mad') for her boundless energia and chatter. I guess I've inherited some of that unstoppable madness.

Yesterday L said he saw the Singapore President whom came to the barbar shop next door to the italian ristorante. It was no mistake as there was polizia outside. Being the 'relationship manager' written on his namecard, he wanted to personally deliver an espresso and tiramisu to thank him for his work permit but was worried he'd be shot down. Imagine the headlines: "Espresso Attempt Thwarted - A Close Shave For President at Barber". Hahahaha.

L's current obsession is Phua Chu Kang after I've pointed Singapore's favourite ah beng on the MRT's courtesy campaign poster. We watched re-runs of PCK on You Tube and I must admit it - it was rather funny. L's Singlish has improved tremendously - now his fav phrase is 'Pui Chao Nwua' (meaning 'spit smelly saliva'). I try to explain the context of it being used but it's not an easy one. My granny said it's like to curse your bad luck when something bad happened. She'd know since she's the eloquent queen of hokkien swear words and sayings.

No comments: