Saturday, June 07, 2008

Words of Law

Now that the cats photo exhibition is finally over, I have more time for updating my blog (sorry, sorry). Funnily in a blink of an eye, it's over and we're already brainstorming for next year. It's both exciting and challenging as we have to top ourselves with every annual show. I'm quite proud of this project which started out as a New Year's resolution 2 years ago - now it seems to take off on its own! N and I secretly wish that in a few years' time, we can make this a travelling exhibition (since it's 'Cats Of The World' right? and of course the 1st stop is Italia!) and we can form different affiliations with overseas cat groups. How cool is that?!

I was reading my uni faculty alumni newsletter yesterday and the dean said something interesting about passion. Many would associate it as a 'hobby' or 'interest' these days but it is originally derived from the Latin word 'passus' which means 'suffering'. If you think of all the famous dead-or-alive passionate artists/writers/composers/actors/etc, most of them are so passionate about their craft that they are willing to suffer for it, sometimes paying with their sanity (and ear, in the instance of Van Gogh). Looking back, our parents and schools never really advocate passion, on the contrary it's always 'study well, get a good job and make money'. Bene, nothing wrong with that but it's probably not a fulfilling, unbalanced existence if life's just all about that.

Passions also apply to beliefs such as bringing your own shopping bag, recycling and reducing waste, giving up seats to the needy, etc. If I can 'suffer' by walking 10mins from point A to B, I'm happy to make that choice to cut down on carbon output. Poor and rich people can be passionate too - wealth is not a factor or by-product (although it is an advantage). In fact I think if you're passionate about something, success and happiness will eventually follow. What matters is how much time and effort you're willing to put in to pursue your passion, to see it to its fruitful end.

It's heartening to see more people making sacrifices to pursue their dreams - including many female clients who started businesses from scratch, volunteers of CWS who believe in their cause, and 2 friends who recently gave up a cushy job to start a film-making venture and another to get back into theatre. It's never too late. I'm glad at the forthcoming age of 33 (oh-my-god), I'm still rediscovering and affirming my passions in cats, photography, nature, food, writing, Italia and who-knows-what!

Imagine in 3 weeks, I'd be off to my Motherland for the 3 month scholarship - a reward for my 'suffering' during the last 2 years of Saturday morning classes (grazie, grazie)! With the exhibition out of the way, I'm toying with the idea of writing a book which is my other longstanding resolution. Allora vediamo... may the force be with me!

No comments: