Monday, September 28, 2009

Secret garden

F1 weekend came and went like the racing drivers' trail of burnt rubber smoke. I hardly have time the last 2 weeks to update the blog as I was busy with projects, proposals and my newfound gardening volunteer gig! Si si, I'm back to nature and getting dirty again every Saturday morning at this Kitchen Garden which is located at Pasir Ris Park. It was always there but recently when I cycled past it, the garden has expanded a lot and thriving with many herbs and veg plants. My prayers have been answered as I was hoping that there'd be a nearby place that I can help out instead of the faraway Lim Chu Kang / Kranji farms.

Darwin, the full-time volunteer /retire there, was more than happy to have me pottering around on Saturdays and my first assignment was to help him with drawing up the signboards to ask people to love and respect the garden (i.e not to remove any plants, soil, etc). He loved the first hand-painted sign and I'm inspired to draw a few more! And 2 weekends ago, a lady saw us busy at work fertilising the garden beds and she decided to chip in. So now, it's me, Darwin and Ming Hua - the Saturday trio in our secret garden. (There are more volunteers that I met in the next few weeks.)

Darwin also handed me many tips - including how to make natural compost from dead plants, eggshells, chicken and horse manure, as well as point out the plants as natural remedies (which I boiled and drank as anti-oxidant brew!). I have to admit it - my body's hurting and aching again from all that squatting and bending, but boy, I love this old feeling! If anyone of you is interested to help out or visit, just let me know. The garden is open to the public and there are many educational tours organised by NParks.

In exchange for my contribution, I got as much chicken shit fertiliser as I want for my growing tomatoes and hot peppers plants, which are thriving well in their own pots now. The thing is I had planted too many seeds and we sadly had to remove some of them to prevent overcrowding. L was a great help and a natural gardener (as you can see in this picture ;) he emailed pictures of the plants to his zio Rino and our amico Michele (both very experienced farmers) for their advice. Every morning L would also move the 10+ pots from our bedroom to the kitchen and balcony to catch the sunlight. With our TLC, I'm pretty sure we'll be harvesting the pomodori soon!

Anyway we'd be off to Chiang Mai and Pai for a 5-day getaway to celebrate L's and my dad's birthday (both Librians and born in year of Sheep!). Reading about the nature activities, hot springs, waterfalls, elephant camps and gorgeous mountain temples makes me so excited already. On top of that, we'll be spending Mid-Autumn's night at this hippie town of Pai. Sarebbe una bella vacanza! Love and respect. Peace.

No comments: