Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Scannin' again

The weeks zipped by in a flash and the xmas trees and decor were all up. We put Pecora at the top of our office tree cos she's a star! The rain fell in continous sheets of storm and the temperature dipped. All I want was a hug and a glass of Champagne. Ok make that una bottiglia! Last Saturday Concetta sprang a test on us in classe and I tried my very best despite the lack of colazione e caffe. Porca putana. I was very sure I sucked. This Saturday would be our last class for Advanced Level 4C and we're all very proud of ourselves for making it so far, especially Eka and I who started since Oct 2005! A pat on the back for us ragazze :P complimenti!

Today I finally had the MRI scan after all the hassle of to-ing and fro-ing from the poly clinic and hospital for the subsidised rate. A doc friend had managed to speed things up and I told the surgeon and his two grinning med interns - no conservative route for me - lets move it and get it out asap.

Prior to the scan, I had some apprehension since a) I'm claustrophobic so the bloody tunnel will be scary 2) I never have a surgery before or being under GA so that's a bit bewildering. Well, that's always a first time for everything right! I tried to be a brave cat, as I lay there on the bed before being rolled in while the nurse reassured me a bit too cheerily 'don't worry, jus close your eyes!'

As I felt the bed slide in, I clenched my fists tight and shut my eyes tight as the space closed in like a space pod and there was only stillness. The tunnel was so bloody small that I almost panicked just thinking of risking a peep. Soon the machine came alive, vibrating and thumping switching from a bad repetitive techno beat to an irritating jackhammer. It was manageable, save for the ear plugs.

Then halfway they rolled me to a window in the tunnel - again the nurse said 'close your eyes still ok' - while injecting me with a liquid to make the blood vessels more visible for the scan?!! WTF! I can deal with injections but not enclosed spaces. I mustered all my strength and imagined myself in a space pod floating in universe while the techno-like vibrations closed in around me again. Not fun lor. Anyway the results were ok and I'd proceed with surgery on 28 Jan 08. Wish me luck!

No comments: