Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Piove va via

The countdown had began. Three more days and Luigi would be free. Truly libero as he claimed. Boo. Sempre colpa sua. Last week I was looking forward to go home but now I was starting to feel depressed with every hour closer to my departure. I came, I saw again and I had mixed feelings about the country. Some more positive and others less. But I had developed a more sober affection for it, compared to my previous infatuation. Let's hope our love affair'd last.

The weather was turning cool - the day after the wedding it rained all day and the temperature dipped to 18 degrees. Everyday we'd ask each other 'Che facciamo oggi?' and one of us would say 'Come vuoi.' Anyway he was happy to go with my plans even if it was his day cos he couldn't be arsed to go out if I wasn't around. We did niente and drove around to the Phlegraean lakes (where Dante described the once suffocating Lake Averno as the gateway to hell) and toured the Vomero area to see the elegant shops. The vista of Napoli and Mt Vesuvius was amazing at the top; a soft blanket of mist hung above the citta and muffled the insistent sounds of cars horning.

Bravo L taught me more parolaccia as we drove around and around amidst the brutto traffico; 'Che cazzo bussi?! Ti faccio un culo cosi (grande)!' (What the f%ck you horning? I make your arse so big! - which must be accompanied by a hand gesture to indicate a big arse) Hahaha. I loved it and said it everytime a car behind us horned. He groaned 'Oh no, ho creato un mostro.' (I've created a monster). Alternatively you could say 'Ti faccio una faccia cosi grande!' (Again use two hands to indicate a big face). Don't forget that Italians speak as much with their hands.

On the other hand, L was also molto bravo at learning cinese and had memorised how to say 'Xie jie, ni hao? Wo de ming zi shi Luigi. Ni de ming zi shi se me? Ni taiiiii mei li! Wo yao chi ni!' (Miss, how are you? My name is L. Your name is? You're tooooo beautiful. I want to eat you!) Don't worry, I had also taught him useful info e.g numbers and colours in cinese which he has internalised. Funnily I think I'd miss our language exchange programmes and conversations in his car as we drove aimlessly around Pozzuoli with the views of the Napoli's bay all round.

That night we got back in time for dinner of gnocchi al pesto, with a side of big green olives (my fav), then proscuitto and insalata. Even though I thought I could eat no more after the wedding, I wiped out a whole plate of lasagne e insalata for lunch earlier while everyone else surrendered. I never really saw Melina or Linda eat. M said she had inhaled everything already by the time she had finished cooking while Linda was probably conscious about her svelte figure, having lost some weight during the past few months. E' meglio cosi, so I could eat more hahaha. I think I'm the smallest person with the biggest appetito there and would eat the house dry if I had stayed longer. The aunts promptly named me 'la buona forchetta' - literally a good fork, which probably does its job well!

No comments: