Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Home Alone

More gardening duties kept me busy this morning and we started off by picking up some natural fertilisers - si, steaming fresh cowdung from the stinko barns. Yucky-merda-poo. Under the dreamy toscana sun, I weeded the garden plots and piled on the shit literally, in between bites of fresh figs plucked off the trees (no, I didn't wash my hands and yes, the mossies are killing me!). At times like these, I wished there were a few other Woofers around. Boredom was creeping in and I was making plans for my next leg of the trip down south. Hmm, shall I revisit my beloved Firenze again?

In the evening, Lorenzo went to Firenze and hung out with his mates at the local Piazza Santo Spirito and I was home alone again with my spaghetti con aglio e olio, vino rosso, cigarettes and iMac. I was surprised that it didn't bother me that I was alone in the house, on the contrary I never felt so secure and contented, and slept like a baby plugged into my ipod listening to la musica di 'Casa'.

At dawn, I woke up to a raging storm outside and the loud mooing of the distressed cows. Lorenzo was missing but crept in later with a hangover, so we slacked and cleaned the house all day, joking about Oscar the mouse who was often spotted. Once it was sleeping in the hood of my backpack and it ran off stunned when I screamed in shock! Another night, Oscar and his friends are having a party ranning all over the house, and it was a bit disconcerning to hear rustling sounds beneath my bed. Anyway today's lunch was simple yet mouthwatering - boiled Maremmana rice di Grosseto, with the freshest mozzarella (it looked like a man's head with a fur coat - my fav foto!), pomodori, insalata, pecorino and vino. It was no surprise I didn't miss Chinese food at all as I had all the rice and pasta I needed for a carbo high.

With time on our hands, Lori suggested that we made gnocchi again for dinner for the gang tonight, so I braved my third attempt - this time with the larger patate - and it turned out benissimo. Guiddo, Gianlucca and Valentina heaped me with praise and polished up their plates, while their grouchy-looking bulldog Camilo sulked in a corner. He wasn't the prettiest thing but quite a comica resilient character, judging by the series of unfortunate events which happened to him. Gianlucca said he once ate a block of 'herbs' and was stoned for days.

Another time, they were in the woods and a porcupine attacked him and his face was full of pines! Finally to test his 'immortality', Gianlucca accidentally backed his car and ran it over his left hind leg which left him limping now. I felt so sorry and developed instant respect and affection for him! Dinner ended on a sweet note; namely a Tuscan specialty flat and sweet bread called 'schiacciata con l'uva' that was dense and flavourful with juicy grapes and fennel (which incidentally flourished abundantly along the driveway!). Yummilicious.

No comments: