Monday, September 05, 2005

Carl Solo Again

After dinner, both of us tucked ourselves under the mosquito net and I couldn't get up on time this morning so I took the day off amd chilled out with Katie before she ran off to meet her parents in nearby Lucca. We explored the estate and I showed her the farmhouse with Ciro tagging along everywhere we went.

At noon, we sadly hugged each other goodbye and promised to meet up in a trullo in Alberobello a week later. I'd miss Katie as I enjoyed talking to her. We had a lot in common - both free-spirited female travellers seeking our own holy grail. Being on the road on our own had made us stronger, more empowered and more certain of what we want from life. I personally learnt so much about myself and relished seiziing life by the moment, making split-second decisions, taking calculated risks, trusting my instincts and living by my own rules.

After Katie left and with Lorenzo away in Venice for the film festival, Marco let me drive the beat-up red Fiat Panda - a small mean dynamo - to the other 2 farmhouses because he might need me to greet and guide the new guests later. I handled the manual gear well enough and manouvered the car up the rocky winding path. He seemed anxious at first but relaxed and praised me when we arrived in one piece! The mini apartments housed in the restored farmhouses were charmingly rustic yet artistically modern, courtesy of the splashes of vibrant paints and quirky fixtures.

Over the next few days, I was the resident housekeeper busy with the interior maintenance work and also played the role of the friendly Asian gardener. Imagine me trimming the roses, cacti, rosemary bushes (grandissimo!) and grapevines while pointing out the elderberries, peaches and luscious green figs to the curious guests. Anita, Marco's girlfriend, arrived from Cyprus in the afternoon; she was lanky and skinny, well-tanned and had a pretty bambi look framed by black curls. The couple stole time off on a date and I settled to my dinner of aglio olio spaghetti, Sangria and cigarettes.

No comments: