Friday, May 17, 2013

Colours Per La Casa

 
 As much as I love a black and white neutral look, I do believe splashes of colours will liven up a home and add character to it. So considering our flooring is cement screed (grey) with white walls and ceilings, coupled with black window grills, the occasional pop of hues are in the details from the ornate tiles (keeping to the grey-white-blue palate). We chose to paint the main wall features of our four bedrooms in colours that will be complementary to the rest of the casa.
 
So after much pondering, we settled for Silver Reef (a warm shade of grey) and Windy Hill (a brighter shade of tiffany blue) - as you can see from the images above. I really have to squint at the Dulux colours and discern the subtle differences between the shades of blue. Imagining it on a full wall is another thing.
 
Various shades of blue
 
The 'Keep It Simple Silly' rule is really important. Don't try to do too much and paint every room in a different colour. We also paint the screed walls above the 3D white tiles in the toilets in a warm grey so it will have a more finished look.  Do you know there are in fact many shades of grey? I chanced upon this indepth article on how to pick the right shade of grey, and afterwards had to call my contractor to change the grey paint. I prefer to live with a warm grey than a cool grey.  
 
Warm vs Cool grey
 
I also decided to listen to my sista's advice and board up the balcony tiles to just leave the wood beams exposed for a neater clean look. L was reluctant at first because he likes the exposed bricked wall but I pressed on - and luckily we both love the new of the black beams against the clean white ceiling (to conceal the electrical tracking and aircon trunking too)!

No comments: