Saturday, October 04, 2008

Touch Down

I'm back as some of you might know. After an exhausting 18 hours of travelling including the Eurostar from Napoli to Roma (2hrs), then Fiumicino Espresso (30mins), then waiting (2hrs) at the aeroporto. Then to Dubai on Emirates (6hrs, great service, food and inflight entertainment by the way), plus another 4 hours of transit (so many deadbeat passengers sleeping on the floor everywhere). Then there was the extra stopover at Colombo, Sri Lanka, argh! (1hr), before being comatosed in the air for 4 hours back to Singapore. Hallulueh. Grazie Dio.

To be honest, I didn't feel homesick at all. As heartless as I might sound, I didn't miss my famiglia, cats, work too much because I had L and Italia. L was my family and Italia was home. But I know I have to be back; greater things await us. And hopefully we can embrace a new chapter in our lives. During Daniela's last classe the previous week, we had to give a farewell speech, and I had written:

'La Fine... ma non e' la fine, invece e' l'inizio di un altro capitolo nella nostra vita. Aparte di migliorare il mio italiano (spero!), penso che abbia trovato molti amici nuovi, e questa esperienza mi ha aiutato di capire meglio la natura d'umano; italians, giapponesi, georgiane, tedeschi, pervertiti! In particolare, questa lezione era una piccola confessione per noi... Per ogni viaggio, io cerco un messaggio - in questi 3 mesi, ho imparato di apprezzare il presente, che e' il piu importante perche il tempo vola. In somma, prima ero infatuata d'italia, adesso posso dire che questa infatuazione e' diventata un amore maturo e piu bilanciato. Grazie lei, grazie tutti!'

(Ok translation: 'The End.. but it's not the end, instead it's the start of another chapter in our lives. Apart from improving my italian (I hope!), i think that I've found many new friends and this experience has helped me to understand better the nature of humans; italians, japanese, germans, perverts! In particular, this lesson was a small confession for us. For every journey, I search for a message - in these 3 months, I've learnt to appreciate the present, which is the most important becos time flies. To sum it up, before I was infatuated with Italy, now I can say that this infatuation has become a mature and more balanced love. Thank you, thanks everyone!')

No comments: