Saturday, October 01, 2005

Grazie Mille

For those who had been following me on my solo quest, I thanked you for your fellowship as I was finally home, snug in the familiar comfort and warmth of my family and friends in Singapore!

What started out as a calling and seemingly impossible dream had became a fantasy realised and words couldn't describe my state of elation and accomplishment. When people asked me how the trip was, I just flashed my toothsome, Mediterranean-tanned grin and pronounced I had the best time of my life.

Being on the road had been so rewarding for me personally and I never felt so empowered, rejuvenated and complete. I was glad I took up this personal test and to my credit, I'd probably passed with flying colours if there was a way to grade it! The solo journey also made me realised a few things that I'd like to share with the intrepid travellers out there and hopefully inspire others to chase their dreams in life.

- If you're unsure or lost, don't be afraid to stop and ask for directions as help is always at hand
- If things don't go accordingly to plan, drink a glass of vino to get over the hiccup and pop a large dose of ecstatic optimism because things will always turn out bene (well)!
- Travel light because there's only so much you can carry on your back for so long
- Catch your 40 winks so that you can relish every waking moment because beauty might just pass you by if you just look but don't see
- There's little point in turning back; why knock on the door of nostalgia when you had the window of opportunity?
- Switch off the TV and shut out the noise; listen to your inner voice and indulge your alter ego because no one knows what's best for you except you (yes that's Carl talking!)
- You might think you're all alone at times but you're just travelling solo; so far from home but never felt so close to your family, friends and the kindred souls sent from above
- The journey is more important than the destination in most cases; never discount pitstops which might become fullstops
- And lastly life is full of surprises and possibilities; nothing's out of reach from Saturnia and Spoleto, to Sicily and space! So sail forth with valour as your armour, joy in your heart and faith as your wings...

To all the kind and generous people who completed my trip and made it truly amazing, grazie mille. To my family and friends, I heard your prayers and blessings which kept me going. You've all opened my heart, fed my soul and healed my spirit!

Last but not least, to Carl who has stood by me all the while, who pushed me on when I was weak and tired, who lent me strength in moments of fears and doubts, who nagged and protected me when I strayed, who reminded me of who I am but urged me to explore and grow, who listened when I whined and sobbed, who rejoiced and teased when I finally spoke my first Italian words, who loved me wholeheartedly so much that in return I have so much to give for life.

Here's a poem dedicated to all the beautiful souls I met in Italy; I wrote it on the long train ride from Sicily to Napoli as the last sunrays lit up the deserted Calabrian coast. Stay tuned as I would be updating my blog with more adventures, recipes and beautiful pictures within the next month!


~Paola Alessandro~
I couldn't take my eyes off her
Her skies were as blue as me
Her waters so luminous and shimmery
That it hurt just to even see
I spoke to her in tentative whispers
And she heard me slowly but surely
For she satiated my curious thoughts
Then answered my longing with a kiss
I breathed in her sweet perfume
A lingering hint of rosemary and jasmine
So comforting I was afraid to exhale
And forget how divine life tasted at that moment
She held my chin and spirit up as I wept
On that last perfect summer afternoon
I didn't want to let go of her, not now
But she just smiled 'it's not forever'
And promised 'ci vediamo dopo' with a wink.

~Carl 29/9/2005 (Copyright)

1 comment:

fernz said...

way to go gal! u're my inspiration when the going gets tough!! great advice!!!