Thursday, April 25, 2013

i Light up my Life part 1

La casa is coming along well. In fact faster than I imagine. Contractor P is already very comfortable with me and has smoked in my presence and even joked. He's very professional, patient, non-judgemental and quick to act. Hence I paid him the downpayment even without him asking so as to motivate him and his workers. I can tell his suppliers/ partners - from the floor guy to the electrician and carpenter - have been working with him for years and that's very important.

Anyway last week the wall openings are patched up and the tiling has began on the toilets. Yesterday I ws surprised to see that the toilets wall and floor tiles and cement screed are done - hooray! P asked us to establish the electrical points, lights and fans positions and then to buy the light switches already. So I headed to Legrand at Veerasamy Road with my trusty advisor (sista); here is also where they got their Millia switches too. All in all, the bill came up to $630 for the switches and 2 KDK fans. Pat gave me a list of various switches to buy - 2 gang, 3 gang, 2-way, 20amp etc - I learn something new everyday!  Look at the switches below from the Millia range at Legrand.

 
 
 

Then sista and I promptly went to look at my light options at CB2 at Peranakan Place and Light Craft at Jalan Sultan. Before that, 2 weeks ago I dragged L to see the shops at Jalan Besar. We found a couple of lights that we liked - the black and white wire lights at LC ($200+) and opposite across the bridge, at Lumiere we liked the big wicker lights in coral, black and white (diff sizes $200+).
 
Lights we like at LC
Wicker lights we love at Lumiere 
Light Craft has probably the best collection of lights ever in Singapore - in different styles and good prices. Sis and I are drawn to the replicas of the Niche Modern Aurora Modern Pendant light that comes in different shapes and hues (prices about $80 - 90!). I loved its name Aurora which takes after "the natural phenomenon in the northern and southern skies when charged particles perform a dance of light as they enter the earth's magnetic field. Its hand blown glass curves represent the roundness of the earth's horizon line with an inspiring glow of warm light running through the center." These will be great for our dining table and kitchen.

 
Aint these Aurora glass pendants gorgeous? Love the onion shapes!
 
 
We also like the  white and black chandeliers as a dramatic piece for the staircase area. They are classic yet modern. I'm thinking the white one will be more subtle and stylish, and will fit the white varnished stairs and retro tiles at the landing above. Black might be too bold and gothic. 

Chandeliers we love at Light Craft for our staircase area - black or white?

 

No comments: